View Single Post
Old
12-10-2012, 05:42 PM
hyster110

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by forbs02 View Post
Yes. Skate sharpening isn't a race. A good sharpener will check the edges to see if they are level, look for deep nicks or rolled edges that need to be fixed, and check the condition of the rivets. If the customer asks you to match the hollow that is on the skate but doesn't know what it is, how will you be able to determine that if you cross-grind it right away? A quick tap on the wheel with the existing edge and you can find out what hollow they have. The skates then get sharpened with passes going in one direction, not whipping them back and forth on the wheel. Attention should also be paid while sharpening to maintain the profile that is on the blade. If a boot is falling apart before the steel is replaced there are some major quality control issues coming from the skate factories.

I have been doing this for a long time and I have seen awful sharpenings coming from different shops. I work in MN, so I would say it is a pretty major hockey market. There are good sharpeners who take pride in their work, and others to whom it is just another part of their job to get through before they can go home.
this attitude and practices differentiate the quality shops from the mediocre ones

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote