View Single Post
Old
12-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheramone View Post
yeah probably unlikely but kids aa kids ive coached can play at any position, it really isnt that hard moving around positions, these guys are semi pro, been around hockey a long time and probably have played 2 if not all 3 forward positions.
I'm sure they "can" play all levels. Heck, against certain opponents I'm sure RNH could play defense and still have a field day. At this level (and above), though, it makes a tremendous difference what position you play and practise every day (or have experience in, as injuries force some teams to get creative). Also, the more offense you're expected to provide, the more it matters, as you're either always directing pucks to the middle of the ice with your backhand on the rush, or having to stop/rotate away from the middle of the ice to get any power and accuracy with forehand passes. If you're a body banger, it could mean less, but there isn't exactly a whole lot separating top U20 clubs from one another these days, and every player out of his natural position would have to be considered a disadvantage - given the other options Canada has for filling/arranging those spots.

For example, if my decision came down to filling one final LW spot, and my best two options left available were Hudon and MacKinnon, even I might pick Hudon for this very reason.