View Single Post
Old
12-10-2012, 05:54 PM
RangersFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Gotta love people who don't pay taxes and never made any money, but want to talk trash because they are jealous of others.

In addition to 35% income tax, you pay almost 8% SS tax (double that if you are running your own business), plus state and local taxes. I make significantly less than Sauer, and I take less than half my money home.

For all the BS talk about the "1%" notpaying their fair share, the top 1% pay over 40% of taxes and the top 5% pay 80% of taxes. There is a reason for this, and the fact that nobody is taking taxes into account is a sign of utter ignorance.

Sauer's take-home was no more than $1.5. Buying a small Brooklyn condo will run him a minimum of half a million, plus all types of fees and expenses (furniture, fixup, et). He will be left with no more than $800k to live about 60 years from his rookie year to death, assuming average life span.

That comes out to $13,000 a year. Can you survive on that? But wait there is more... Inflation reduces this in half every 20 years. So when he is 43, it becomes $6,500 in today's money. And when he is 65, it will be about $3k in today's purchasing power.

What upsets me most about your statement is to compare a world talent who practiced since the age of 5, and left his home at the age of 16 to take a huge risk to whom? People who spent their youth smoking weed and generally having fun?

There are 3 rules of success:

1. The more you work when you are young, the less you work as an adult.
2. The riskier your action, the higher the payoff.
3. A rare talent gets paid more than a person without an irreplaceable skill.

Major league players qualify under all three. "The Average Joe" does not. A no talent person who didn't even bother to do homework as a child, much less train for something, who never took any risks (start a business, etc) cannot compare himself to an NHLer. He flat out does not deserve am above average lifestyle because he never did anything above average.
thanks for making this post, I was ready to post similar sentiments