View Single Post
Old
12-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Kyle McMahon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I am taking two-way play into account as well. Modano was good defensively, but not otherworldly either. He still wasn't a Datsyuk in that regards. If you like talking about perfect storms then I don't think Modano could have had a more perfect storm than he had. Hitchcock comes in, shakes things up, a great team is built that relies heavily on the dead puck era. Hey, that's fine for them they won a Cup and they were going by the rules. But the Hart votes along show you how people viewed Selanne over Modano. The edge defensively doesn't make up for it in my opinion. Throw in the late career resurgence which was the opposite for Modano and I can't see how anyone puts Modano over Selanne.

You also have to take into account that Selanne was relied upon heavily to score on that team. No one else would do it other than Kariya, when he was healthy. That 1997-'98 season is perhaps his finest moment. He was all alone that year playing with scrubs. There was a time when you could have put Selanne a notch below Jagr. I don't think there was anytime when people thought Modano could even flirt with being the 2nd best player in the game.
I'd be cautious with the Hart votes. A great player on an otherwise lousy team is going to have an easier time standing out as an MVP than a player like Modano, who has other good players on his team.

Modano was definitely in the perfect situation under Hitchcock, but I don't see why he should be punished for that. He took the role and ran with it, winning a Stanley Cup.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote