View Single Post
Old
12-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Yakushev72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post

Completely disagree. As long as the NHL has the best players from all over the world, it will be the best league to play in.

The NHL has the best NA, European and Russian players in it right now. The NA part will never change, and as long as that changes I don't see the Euro part ever changing. The KHL could hope to one day be able to attract the best Russian players in the world, but as long as players like Ovechkin, Malkin, Grigorenko and Yakupov are stars in the NHL, this is not going to change.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I can't imaging many young kids growing up saying "I want to be like Radulov". I see far more growing up saying "I want to be like Datsyuk/Ovechkin/Malkin/Yakupov"

Sure they can make more money in the first few years in the KHL rather than playing minor pro in NA, but long term they will never be able to compete. In NA you're playing in front of 15,000+ fans every night, you're treated like a God, the endorsement deals are as good or better than they could be in the KHL, you're exposure to the world is greater. This gives you a better opportunity to develop a career after hockey, whether its investing, or a second career as a media member or a player agent like Larionov.

Given its current state, I don't see the KHL ever being more than a league for 2nd tier europeans who have the opportunity to make more money as first liners/stars in the KHL than secondary pieces in the best league in the world.

Also I apologize as this is getting slightly off-topic.
The KHL will, IMO, start to bring the Russian stars back from the NHL, and maybe the Czechs, Slovaks, and even Swedes and Finns, if expansion heads in that direction. Europe is suddenly going hockey mad, and their preference would be to focus on something at home or at least on their own continent. The European stars who make the NHL the league it is went there because that was the only place to make real money and play top quality hockey. The KHL hopes to offer that opportunity at home, and they've already made huge strides!

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote