Thread: Meteorology
View Single Post
Old
12-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Always thought weather was interesting. Very predictable yet unpredictable. Anyone majoring in meteorology and related studies wanna tell me more about it, etc.?
At my university, the coursework involves Calculus, Physics and a year of General Chemistry. The stuff you learn in those classes is pretty important for the actual meteorology classes. (We use a lot of vector calculus for studying wind and pressure gradients and we use some fluid principles from physics.) The math and physics is definitely challenging, but all one needs to do is practice a lot and it comes. What I've enjoyed so much is actually learning about what goes in a storm: how does it form? what determines the lifecycle of a storm? what determines the intensity? what determines how violent the rotation is in a supercell (tornado-generating storm)? why do storms suddenly pop out of nowhere? Obviously I'm really interested in tornadoes and severe storms, but there are many other parts of meteorology like climate, forecasting, agricultural meteorology, tropical meteorology etc.

I tell people don't let the math scare you (I was an OK math student, but not spectacular btw) because it's an absolutely captivating field of study.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote