View Single Post
Old
12-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Consecutive Norris Trophies and significant Hart consideration over a three year span is more significant than anything Chara has or will likely ever accomplish by a lot.
In a vacuum? Probably, but not all Norrises are equal (not everyone with one was a 139 point Bobby Orr, for example), and "significant" Hart consideration over a 5+ year span is actually longer and better than 3... But I can foresee "significant" turning into a battle of semantics. Is the line drawn between simply coming up in conversation and actually turning up on ballots, or at some threshold % of total vote or relative ratio to other finalists? Ready to treat this fairly across years where the voting and points systems differed as well?

Besides, Bourque was already clearly the better defenseman in '82/83 AND '83/84 imo (after all, he was the 1st all-star in the two years previous, and the two years following as well, including '83/84), and for my money even Potvin and Robinson were still better at the time, so I don't know what to make of that Norris other than no one being impressed with Coffey's production yet, either. That's not the point, though. Point is, that while there's always an argument to be made for/against any trophy finalist in any year, Langway's back-to-back Norrises are among the few that will always have an "asterisk" for me as mysteries/timing/"undeserving", and I don't think I'm alone.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote