Thread: Meteorology
View Single Post
Old
12-10-2012, 08:26 PM
ThaDevilGirl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
So being a good math and science student will definitely help me then? I'm taking BC Calc, AP Physics, and AP Chem in HS (college level courses in HS), so anyone have any idea about exactly what I'll need to take? Headed up to admissions at A&M sometime next year, but any info helps.
I'm no expert on your education system but being good at sciences can only be beneficial. During my undergrad I was an okay physics student and probably terrible at math (still managed to pass my courses) and yet I did good in my atmospheric sciences courses. There are so many approximations in meteorology, it makes the math qualitative. Obviously you need to know how derivatives and stuff behave but you don't do the operations.

The way I learned meteorology I was rarely (or never) asked to derive equations. The professors would give us the derived equations and we would have to use them according to a set of problems. If you every work in an operational forecasting environment it will be the same. Computer models do the math, forecasters analyze, diagnose and forecast by making their own approximations.

Forecasting the weather can be pretty difficult, but so rewarding when you're not wrong.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote