View Single Post
Old
12-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
I'd be cautious with the Hart votes. A great player on an otherwise lousy team is going to have an easier time standing out as an MVP than a player like Modano, who has other good players on his team.

Modano was definitely in the perfect situation under Hitchcock, but I don't see why he should be punished for that. He took the role and ran with it, winning a Stanley Cup.
He shouldn't be punished for it at all. As for the Hart votes, I think it is harder to get them on a lousy team than a great team. Selanne was on a lousy team and did very well. The voters also take into consideration how well the team did in the standings, which hurt Selanne, yet he still has a distinct advantage over Modano.

And let's remember, they both won a Cup. Selanne's came later. I think we forget that Selanne sort of redeemed himself post lockout in the playoffs. I would say Modano's 1999 Cup run trumps Selanne's in 2007 but at least Selanne also had some Conn Smythe talk surrounding him, like Modano. I don't think Modano's playoff edge makes up for their overall careers.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote