View Single Post
Old
12-10-2012, 10:07 PM
ltrangerfan

vCash: 500
I'll put fourth a theory that I've been fooling around with lately. If nothing else I'll prove, once again, that I have no clue what I'm talking about.

Anyway, my thought is that hockey players are too well paid. I'm not saying that they are overpaid for the sport but I am saying that there are too many players who never dreamed they would be making as they are and are living below their means. Thus, much of their money is being put into investments for their future rather than being used to pay their daily living expenses. Once an individual believes his future is secure he no longer solely dwells on making money to purchase food, water, property, schooling, etc (thanks Maslow). I believe many players are at the stage of wanting to do what they believe earns them self respect (holding the line against owners demands) and are willing to forgo part of their earnings to accomplish this goal. Is there a limit to how much money the players will trade in an attempt to accomplish their goal? Clearly. How much? I don't know. The players are making a contribution they are not planning to retire permanently.

In this lockout... What did I fail to understand? That the players have as a whole have accumulated substantial funds (personally) and were prepared to take a stand which will cost them monetarily. Yes, they are the financial underdog in this battle but clearly not a group to earn anyone's sympathies. I'm now understanding that The owners made at least one clear blunder . They paid the players too much over the years and now it's coming back to haunt them.

Anyway, that's my thought. I probably reconsider my whole thesis tomorrow.