View Single Post
Old
12-10-2012, 10:12 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Bozak isn't going anywhere unless a substantially better centre is coming our way. Sure, he might leave as a UFA, but do you really believe either of him / Burke are going to allow that to happen while he's the team's #1 Centre?

With Bozak, Grabovski, McClement & Steckel, that doesn't leave room for Loktionov... never mind the fact that group is nowhere near good enough, and Loktionov not making a remotely substantial difference to that group to warrant a change.

There absolutely are checking line centres, they're just required to produce offensively these days too. Putting a guy like Loktionov in that role is not going to give us a strong 3rd line.

There is something called trading from strength to address weakness, and I'm all for it. However, there's also something called trading for players who address your needs, and who you can make greater value of than anyone else... and that's far more important than the principle of strengths for weaknesses.

The fact that you guys are thinking of slotting him on the first line between Kessel & Lupul as a means to reduce the goals against shows just how out of touch with reality you are. Tyler Bozak is a superior player in every single way, both offensively and defensively. That line being atrocious defensively isn't going to be solved by swapping Bozak for an even smaller centre. They're going to have to get bigger, and/or the wingers are going to have to decide that they want to play 2-way games.

As to where Ashton plays in the future. He could take a role on our 3rd line with Lombardi/MacArthur, or he's trade bait. Being trade bait is fine, but you don't trade for a guy likely to be trade bait in the future. You'll lose every time.
He is better than Bozak defensively however worse on the draw. I don't get how being smaller makes him worse defensively? I also see why he can't be a third line C, hes strong defensively and has the offense that you'd expect from a third liner.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote