View Single Post
Old
12-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Kyle McMahon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
He shouldn't be punished for it at all. As for the Hart votes, I think it is harder to get them on a lousy team than a great team. Selanne was on a lousy team and did very well. The voters also take into consideration how well the team did in the standings, which hurt Selanne, yet he still has a distinct advantage over Modano.
Lets be fair, the Ducks weren't a downright lousy team for most of Selanne's time there. They generally were a .500 team. I agree, being on a better team does tend to help, but it's not like he was stuck on a total cellar dweller.

Quote:
And let's remember, they both won a Cup. Selanne's came later. I think we forget that Selanne sort of redeemed himself post lockout in the playoffs. I would say Modano's 1999 Cup run trumps Selanne's in 2007 but at least Selanne also had some Conn Smythe talk surrounding him, like Modano. I don't think Modano's playoff edge makes up for their overall careers.
I definitely don't recall this. Selanne's goal production dropped sharply as compared to the regular season. Certainly Niedermayer, Pronger, Giguere, and Pahlsson were ahead of him in Smythe consideration. Beachemin, Getzlaf, and McDonald could have been ahead of him as well.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote