Thread: Prospect Info: Tyler Biggs's discussion thread.
View Single Post
Old
12-11-2012, 12:41 AM
smitty10

vCash: 500
Ryane Clowe has only cracked the 20 goal mark twice in his career and most Leafs fans on these boards salivate at the thought of him becoming a Maple Leaf. If Biggs can become a 20-30 guy that'd be fantastic for us because he brings so much to the table. I think he's actually ahead of the curve in terms of the development of power forwards. Just take a look at how late most of them bloom. Some examples:

- Ryane Clowe played an overage season in the QMJHL and two years of AHL hockey before even playing a game with the Sharks. Didn't become an NHL regular until 24.

- Dustin Penner went undrafted and didn't play at all in his first NCAA season (not sure of reason) at 20 years old. Played a full year of College then 2 years of AHL hockey before becoming an NHL regular at 25.

- Erik Cole was drafted at the age of 20. He played 3 years of NCAA and a year in the IHL before making the NHL at 24.

- Troy Brouwer played an overage year in the WHL and the majority of two seasons in the AHL before becoming a regular NHLer.

Although Biggs does still have some developing to do I think he's well on his way to having a good career in the NHL. These power forwards take a little longer to develop and realize their scoring touch, but they're definitely worth the wait. Hopefully he does a full year in the AHL and is ready for a bottom 6 role on the big club the following season. I think he has the tools and game that needs development at the NHL level more than the AHL.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote