View Single Post
Old
12-11-2012, 12:46 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
Except the most important fact: This is Jones' first season in the WHL. Pietrangelo had a year of experience in the OHL already when his draft year came around. It makes all the difference.

Jones has more skill than you give him credit for. You're comparing numbers from his first games in the league where he was adjusting and still reserved when jumping into the play. He's since adjusted and his numbers have reflected that.

I find it funny that it's always the people who are geographically farthest away from the players that are the most critical of their play.
Well, actually, I've spent most of the thread without referring to stats at all - just observation. It only made sense to refer to offensive numbers at that point because of the introduction of the idea of "offensive acumen". People farthest away geographically also have an easier time avoiding the Kool-aid in the water supply, btw. But backing up, how little skill do you think I'm giving him credit for? Does my not considering him the best choice for 1st overall somehow equate to under-rating him?

Also, Jones played a 50+ game schedule with the US Development squad and 20 more games in USHL matches last year. How different is that, really, from 60 games in the OHL? Jones probably ended up with more experience against older and stronger players in the process given games against NCAA opponents, and how do we then weigh/compare how their environments may or may not have contributed to the strengths in their game today - if one is supposed to be deemed advantageous over the other?

But rest assured, if he has made as significant an improvement as you suggest, I won't turn a blind eye to it.