View Single Post
Old
12-11-2012, 12:12 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 500
Attachment 59757
Click image to make bigger

Didn't know where to put this but thought this was interesting.

This is a semi attempt in making "catch all" stat. I'm not usually a huge fan of it but I like this guys work (stats.hockeyanalysis.com, same place I get the CF% and GF%).

The size of the circle indicates the TOI.
___HARO+ is the authors attempt to calculate the teams offence when the player is on the ice (by weighted __ type opportunities)
___HARD+ is the authors attempt to calculate the teams defence when the player is on the ice (by weighted reduction __ type opportunities)
This particular one (or it's ___) uses fenwick/20mins-of-icetime (which includes goals, shots and missed shots; does not include blocked shots like corsi, so smaller sample size but bit better in correlation to winning since blocking shots takes talent and blocked shots may arise from poor chances)

He weights it to try to reduce effects of zone starts, teammates skill and competition skill. Personally I think the weighting is off... for example, I don't think Wellwood and Stapleton's sheltering , or the difficult task of GST (although I still think they didn't "win") is accounted for strongly enough.

Not perfect, but it's neat.
Food for thought.

Last edited by garret9: 01-21-2014 at 12:34 AM.