View Single Post
Old
12-11-2012, 01:29 AM
pdd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
I've never seen Orr or some of the older guys. I've seen Courtnall and Gartner etc. but I've never seen anybody with speed like Bure.
You never saw Fedorov, Gartner, or Coffey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperman View Post
Just for the fun of it, here is my Top 5:

1.Bobby Orr, the most complete skater
2.Scott Niedermayer, the second most complete skater
3.Paul Coffey, the best glider
4.Reijo Ruotsalainen, probably one of the 3 best gliders with Coffey and Niedermayer
5.Sergei Fedorov, doesn't have the breakaway speed of Pavel Bure but his overall skating abilities are unbelievable
Except Fedorov had better speed than Bure. Fedorov just wasn't out there cherry-picking for breakaways.

Quote:
I didn't notice it at first, but there are 4 defensemen on my list and 1 center who also played defense.
Might be because skating is far more important for defensemen than for forwards. A poor skating forward (Dave Andreychuk, Tomas Holmstrom) can get by and succeed with a little bit of skill, but a poor skating defenseman (Hal Gill, early Chara) is doomed to failure unless he has something significant in his favor (size, strength, skill). Look at the transformation Chara made from his early years in New York to his years in Ottawa when he learned to skate. He went from being the biggest pylon ever to being a top-notch defenseman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevchar1971 View Post
1. orr
2. lafleur
3. bure
4. coffey
5. perreault
6. modano
7. fedorov
8. cournoyer
9. niedermayer
10.gartner
Modano over Fedorov? Modano was a straight-line skater who still didn't have Fedorov's speed. Modano doesn't belong on this list. So many more names can easily go before MikeyMo: Savard, Yzerman, Mogilny, Selanne, Kariya, MacInnis, Housley, LaFontaine, Turgeon, Jagr, Kovalev, Balderis. Modano had speed on some of these guys, but this list is about greatest skater, not fastest skater.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote