View Single Post
Old
12-11-2012, 02:17 AM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
Those may seem like lofty standards over the past 20 years, but it's not like they're minimum criteria for the HOF. I'm just saying you'd expect a HOF forward to accomplish either of those... or that his PPG at least doesn't decrease substantially (more than 10% or so)... or that they have a high proportion of playoffs where they scored > PPG (close to half). Most of those players listed weren't really close to hitting any of the individual marks. Turgeon has 97 PO points, Thornton is next with 87 (so he might at least hit 100... after a long career on mostly good teams)... Dionne has the best PPG at .92, followed by Iginla at .91 and Turgeon at .89. Selanne actually has the best results of the group, with 10 series victories (9 after age 30) which is tied with Mogilny.

What helps negate the effect of these metrics are a couple instances where the player turns around the series on their own, or is particularly valuable during a series or playoff run. I just don't remember much of that with Selanne. What have been the signature playoff moments or series for him? 8 points in 7 games to get he and the Ducks their first series victories, vs. Phoenix in '97? Goals in 3 of the last 4 games and single points in 6/7 games vs. Calgary in '06? I think it's probably his 6 points in the last 3 games vs. Detroit in the '07 WCF, to overcome a 2-1 deficit in the series. The last one is particularly important, as it was against a strong Detroit team and on the way to a Cup, but I guess I'd just expect there would be more dominating performances from such an outstanding player.
This. In that series Selanne scored one of the most important goals in that cup run.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote