View Single Post
Old
12-11-2012, 03:44 AM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
I am actually having hard time of deciding between Brodeur and Jagr. In retrospect, Jagr will probably give you better peak performance but Brodeur has been very loyal to his team. Something Jagr can't say.

Better player is Jagr but if I would be a GM the best choice would be Brodeur by far. Finding a arguably top-5 goalie of all time with 20-year career is something every single General Manager dreams about. One of the biggest things you will get canned for is taken care of for the rest of your own career.
Good points for the most part. I think Quebec was one of the more unique situations. Given that they were in the same division as Montreal, who had Roy, and the additional language barrier for Jagr, it seems like Brodeur would have been a fine choice for them. Would have been interesting to see how that turned out. The Nords needed help in goal, as neither they nor their goalies (Tugnutt, Fiset, etc.) were doing very well, so how would Brodeur have responded if he was put to the test at a younger age for a losing team?

That puts Jagr in Vancouver, which seems like a better fit. The Canucks would have been able to send out separate lines with Jagr and Bure, with an improving team in a weaker division. Would have been interesting to see how that played out as well, whether he puts them over the top ~'92-94 and what direction they take after that (rather than Mogilny & Messier).

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote