View Single Post
Old
12-11-2012, 04:56 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
What the...?! Are you talking about Kyle Clifford?

"Exception young two-way player"? - Over his career, the Kings have scored 40% of the goals with him on the ice at 5v5. Exceptional two-way players don't spend 1.5x as many shifts digging pucks out of their own net.

"Clutch performer"? - He has 12 goals in 157 games. He scored 45 goals in the OHL over 184 games - he could barely produce at a 20 goal pace in junior.

That he does a fantastic job of letting opposing teams skate around him?

He was given the second easiest minutes of all forwards for the Kings last season (only Colin Fraser saw weaker opposition). He started exactly half his shifts in the offensive zone and half in the defensive zone. Despite soft minutes, he was absolutely obliterated in puck possession - the Kings allowed 8 shots more than they took every 60 minutes that Clifford spent on the ice.

He's a useless young player who doesn't do prevent the opposition from taking shots or scoring chances. His "primary drawback" is that you're very likely to get out shot, out chanced, and outscored when he is on the ice.

The problem with "seeing" his value is that while he may do exciting things that make the fans think he has value, there's a reason he got less than 9 minutes per game at even strength. The Los Angeles Kings played 26 skaters in '11-'12 and Clifford came 24th in even strength TOI/g.

He's a dime/dozen thug with great effort and not a lot of skill.
You make some good points, but unfortunately you overreact on a couple of things (some annoyance perhaps ?). That makes your post less valuable. For instance that he was barely a 20 goal scorer in junior. He wasnt drafted because of his offensive output. Otherwise you dont get picked in the 2nd round with 16 goals on your resume...

Its a pretty silly argument. He put up 28 goals in only 58 games after he got drafted. That would have been well above 30 goals in a full OHL season. Quite an improvement. After that season he started to play for the Kings already.

That being said, we shouldnt overrate Kyle Clifford with words like ''exceptional'' , "two-way" and "very good". At one point I thought he could definitely become a gritty powerforward with offensive ability and its still early but I'm starting to have doubts. I just dont see the potential. He's not a very good defensive player IMO, hands of stone, not a good shot. I just cant see him putting up offensive numbers in the future. Career 4th liner IMO. I hope I'm wrong though.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote