View Single Post
Old
12-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

vCash: 500
I will say in reading the big argument here I agree with Jiggy that both sides have their share of blame in this year's mess (in particular). It started off very badly and way too late on account of the owners, who I believe intended to lock the players out all along, but did not expect it to go this far. Eventually they came around and ended up at the logical "half way points" to resolve contracting issues, without taking away another huge chunk of salary from the players... and it was at that point the players decided to let Fehr do the talking, and walked away like idiots (moving goal posts and all).

Put another way, if in October the NHL came back with a second offer that provided:

+ A mutually acceptable (revised) definition of HRR, where the players would go from 57% to 50% of that revenue pie over the next 2 or 3 years, then stay at 50% for the duration of an 8 or 10 year CBA.

+ No changes whatsoever to UFA or RFA eligibility rules

+ 5 year maximums for FA going to new teams, 7 years for existing teams

+ $300M in make whole money directly from the owners

+ Revenue sharing that was exactly what the players asked for

There would be a new CBA right now. This is all brinksmanship and games. But the PA didn't take the high road last week when some very decent owners came to the table to fix the problem created by *******s like Jacobs and Snider. No one was asking them to "sign the agreement without Don", so that whole line of reasoning is pure spin IMO. Not much respect at all for Hainsey in that stretch.

We're going to lose the season at this point so might as well start thinking about the lottery because it's all we have to look forward to.