View Single Post
Old
12-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I really question the wisdom of spending $650M for a disposable stadium.

30 years is the going rate?
**Personal bias - I support the idea of public money to partially pay for such projects**

It's not a matter of a "going rate", it's a matter of obsolescence. The only reasons the Fourms and Gardens of the NHL lasted for 70-80 years was because there was no game-changing advancement in stadium design over that time. But once other buildings sprouted up with club seating and suites (not to mention being more architecturally pleasing), they had to be done away with in the interest of staying competitive - not only in terms of revenue for sports teams, but also in terms of attracting top-end touring acts.

If the stadium-building boom of the 90s had happened 30 years prior, we would have lost all the storied O6 buildings back in the 60s. Likewise, had places like JLA and Rexall been built in the 30s and 40s, they would have had half-century-plus lifespans as well.

We saw the same thing in baseball - Camden Yards was a game-changer in stadium design, and many of the parks built afterwards took on elements of this new design. As a result, many ballparks that weren't very old at all became obsolete (Three Rivers Stadium, the Kingdome, Veterans' Stadium, and Fulton County Stadium all closed their doors after 35 years or less), in addition to places like Tiger Stadium and Comiskey Park which were much, much older.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote