View Single Post
Old
12-11-2012, 10:02 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
That's something I've seen in the lockout thread and that's a flawed argument, most junior player in Canada are studying while playing. A good exemple is the Quebec city Remparts IIRC that ask their players to actually go to school to play with the team. Yes, maybe they take less courses in cegeps, but I mean who doesn't know someone that took 3 years to complete is cegep and from what I saw that doesn't change anything in their career. If after your junior career you see you don't have any potential to reach the NHL (which a good majority of the players does) well they just start focussing on something else and they are 21, that's doesn't prevent them to anything. Then if someone continue and reach the AHL they will be paid 100 000 playing the sport they love, the ''risk'' already paid out, samething with europeans leagues.

Louis Leblanc took courses at McGill while playing in junior, there is also the NCAA way for anyone that want to study.

I can't tell for the european system thought, I don't know exactly how all work there.

I will never see doing a sport you like as a risk anyway, even if you wish to make a career in it. It's a passion and a pastime. Yes it ask for sacrifice, but there is no passion that isn't. Some play guitar 2 hours each days and in a band on the weekend an wish to make a career out of it, that would be a risk too ? no that's a passion, a pastime. Does the producers should give money to everybody that fails in their music carreer for their ''risk''?
Your more or less confusing your terminology. Every choice contains a risk. Your perception of what the risk or the choice is, does not negate the risks involved. When someone views something as a "passion", he's basically saying that the Benefits of making that specific choice, potentially outweighs the risks, which might be completely different from person to person. In the end, there is a choice, and a risk involved with that choice.
In this case, pursing a career in hockey, can be seen as a "passion", but if you don't make it, the "risk" involved in that choice was that you spent X amount of time doing that "passion" while loosing out advancing in, lets say, your financial career. Wether you lost 1 year, that could result in your total wealth to have lost 50k, or lost more years.
Ones perception over a certain "choice" does not negate the risks involved.