View Single Post
Old
12-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Protest the Hero

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Owners assume a financial risk for sure. There's little doubt about that.

Players though definitely assume a financial risk when becoming a player. No they don't foot the bill for expenses but you can't tell me that there's no risk in foregoing school to pursue their dream. Most of these guys never make it and it's damn near impossible just to become a 4th liner. Absolutely there's a financial risk there, it's just a different kind of risk that's all.

A big reason that players take that risk is because of the pay. It's because they want a career playing hockey and the fans aren't coming to watch Ted Leonsis go one on one with Geoff Molson. They are the talent and should be paid handsomely for what they bring in.

It's just a different kind of risk. Certainly it's a financial risk though. These guys are betting their future on it and most of the time it doesn't pay off. Those that do make it deserve to be rewarded for it because they're the guys the fans pay to see.

Bottom line: There's a big pie and there should be enough to go around. The way they're all fiddling over the details is a joke in my opinion.
The guys that don't make it are not being affected by the CBA, and the guys that do make it, make 5-10 times the amount in one year that their parents spent on them to get there.

It's not a financial risk being an NHL player(key word, NHL). It's hard getting there(physically and financially), no one is arguing that, but these guys forgo school knowing they'll make more playing a game they love than any career they can pursue short of waiting 10-15 years to reach that level of pay.

"They are the talent and should be paid handsomely for what they bring in."

They are, I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise.

Hamrlik said they should put the last offer to a vote among players, I agree with him.