View Single Post
Old
12-11-2012, 11:11 AM
tjcurrie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I am not in.

You have to ask yourself, what is a boycott designed to do? Alter corporate behavior, no?

What is the behavior that needs to be altered? Resorting to work stoppages as a negotiation tactic.

But this has already occurred. What is a boycott going to theoretically accomplish after the behavior in question, by definition, has ended?

What are you saying to the league by withholding your support? That you are aren't pleased? They already know you're not pleased. They don't care. They think you'll come back, eventually.

Any message supposedly sent will be long forgotten by the time the next CBA is up for negotiation anyway.

The only type of boycott that matters is if you truly stop caring. This doesn't mean forgoing tickets for an arbitrary length of time. It doesn't mean watching something else on TV for a week. It means stopping being a fan of the NHL entirely. If you're prepared to do that then you have my respect. Otherwise acknowledge just how powerless you are. There's no shame in that.
I don't think it will make much of a difference. I think it's a nice idea, though I think it hurts/pressures the owners more than the players which I'm not in favor of. But in the end if you don't buy that ticket to the game, someone else will, and that's the part that would make this almost futile. It would take a commitment from almost everyone for a decent amount of time (2 weeks? Month?) and I don't see that happening.

The thing is though, if it did happen, it would give us fans a little but of clout for the next time this happened. They all think it's empty threats but if we proved once we're capable and made the threat again in the future, they may take heed. If this actually happened in 2004-05 we may have been able to make this threat this time around and who knows.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote