View Single Post
Old
12-11-2012, 02:01 PM
buddahsmoka1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I didn't do Honors at McGill. I turned out fine. Currently doing a masters at Uottawa on a 20,000 year scholarship. Finished McGill with a modest 3.6 GPA.
Where did I say you wouldn't 'turn out fine?'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
I will explain it in plainer terms. The prov gov have an overall budget for everything. If they are in the red, and they recoup a little by cutting somewhere...like...EDU, then they lok like they are making progress. If the school in turn, cannot make ends meet... they do what? Borrow money, and pay interest. They are already $1 billion in the whole (collectively) for this school year. That was before the gvmt cut what was already promised to them.

If universities are public entities, who do you think ends up holding the bag? That's right. Tax payers.

You move it from one column to another, and in the short term, the gvmt looks like they are making headway. That.... is cooking the books.
That is not 'cooking the books.'

Government cuts on expenditures occur all the time. When they do occur, government institutions need to reduce their own expenditures to make ends meet.

Logically speaking, if they aren't going to increase tuition costs on students, expenditures need to be cut.

Cooking the books would be submitting fraudulent budgets to the public. This is neither fraudulent nor out of the ordinary.

Quote:
I prefer honesty. If EDU costs more, charge more.
This is of course ignoring the millions of dollars universities spend on administration, and full-time salaries.

Quote:
Basic computing (taking notes etc) is one thing, but scientific, graphic arts, animation, video, CAD... these are not areas which fall under general computing.

For more advanced computing, making students bring in computers is bad for one main reason, loss of productivity. If you are using specific professional grade software to teach a class (not MS Office), and you have 4000 different computers, each which different configurations, each with their own virus', each with their own pirated software...what do you get?

Problems running an efficient class. Problems with the network. All it does is grind everything to a halt. Plus...in a public system, I repeat, the school has to provide an infrastructure. I believe the computer infrastructure, including the network and wireless network are part of it.

As for where it is happening...U de Laval, OCAD, Centennial....the list is long
Once again, I would like to see some actual evidence that universities are all of a sudden not providing wireless internet or computers to students.

This sounds like more of an argument from someone who sells universities these types of programs and is worried about their 'bottom line.'