Old
12-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
That's an ambiguous question - in what way do you mean "have everything"? Your examples suggest that you mean that it doesn't need to be something shiny and spectacular, while the press releases have suggested that they're looking for a building that functions beyond a home for pro sports.

If you're asking if they need something shiny, my answer is "sort of". I work for the Canadian government, and all internal expenses have to be justifiable to taxpayers. As a result, my physical work environent (cubicles, office space, etc.) is dreary, sterile, and depressing, as extra expense to make an insipring workplace can't be juustified. If we do the same thing to a stadium, we end up with a bland monolith that people will only frequent if they have to. Surely there has to be a balance between value for money and having something that reflects well on the levels of government that contributed to it.

If you're asking if the extra expense to construct a building that's used beyond professional sports is worthwhile, my answer is a resounding yes. If they can get some added functionality out of the building, and the cost of adding it is proportionate to that functionality, they'd be silly not to. From what I've heard, JLA is a dead zone if there's not a hockey game or a concert on, and having that kind of space in the centre of the city that goes unused except for a few hours a week is poor urban planning.

Well, if you consider the cost to build some other venues in the recent past:

Prudential Center: $375 in 2007
Jobing: $220 in 2003 ($278 in 2012 dollars)
Xcel: $130 million, ($175 million in 2012 dollars)
Consol Energy: $321 million in 2010 ($350 million in 2012 dollars)

These are all multipurpose arenas.

What are you getting for the additional $300 MM?

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote