View Single Post
Old
12-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
The only thing you have proven is that Esposito was, himself, a very good player. OF COURSE HE WAS.

You severely downlplay Orrís influence as far as how it affected what happened on the ice, though. The difference in that teamís performance with and without him was night and day. Their goal differential doubled. And we already know it wasnít just because they loaded up with Orr and Espo at the same time.
I don't see how Esposito was a "very good player" though. I just don't see how anyone sees that. I've used the word "unstoppable" to describe him and that about sums him up in a nutshell. Even with the Orr factor how was he anything but an all-time great player? You just simply can't win 5 scoring titles and put that much seperation from them and the next best forward.

I don't think anyone here dismisses the impact Orr made on a team. I would certainly hope a team would score less without Orr than with him. The thing is, Esposito's numbers don't change a whole lot without Orr. He is still a dominant center, he is still the best forward in the game and somewhere along the way the Bruins still win a Cup I would think. We just don't have a lot of time when Esposito missed to see how Orr would do. Well, there's the 1973 playoffs. Orr's numbers weren't good either (2 points in 5 games). They definitely aren't the same dominant team without Esposito either. No doubt Orr was a big impact too, and a bigger impact at that, but I personally think you are underrating Esposito as well. I mean............"very good player"? That's shortchanging the guy.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote