Old
12-11-2012, 04:50 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
The real difficult season was the one where Philly had both the Flyers and the new WHA Blazers and Bernie -- oh how I hated when he walked out on them as the Playoffs began... but was overjoyed when the Flyers got his rights back -- Trying to listen or watch both that season was insane. LOL

IIRC though it was the next season were South Jersey got the relocated New York Golden Blades and housed them for the last half of the season at the old 'Ice House" across Brace(?) Road from Kominsky's... Had wire fencing instead of glass, which caused excitement with fast-arsed crazy caroms. Tickets were easy to get and I Believe the crowds were decent, but the venue was too small to hold enough. Some South Jersey hockey zanies adopted them and I for one attended a few games in their short time here... I believe Harry Howell was the player coach and the name they adopted was 'The Jersey Knights'... which was chosen because when they moved ninety miles south to the area, the only place with enough uniforms on hand had ones with Chess Piece Knights on them... so they bought them and just named the team to fit the jerseys. I recall that some players skated on ice still with skates that had golden tinted blades... I forget where they relocated to after they bolted Cherry Hill, but I do remember that the Blazers relocated to Vancouver -- without Bernie -- after the single season at Philadelphia Convention Hall... Should have taken the hint when before they took their first shift at the Hall, the ice cracked and they had to send the crowd home and postpone their first Opening Night.
The NY/NJ WHA team relocated to San Diego and became the Mariners. In Jersey, the Cherry Hill Arena later became the Centrum after the team relocated. There are some interesting tales in the couple or so books published on the WHA.

The current home of the AHL Sharks in Worcester, Mass. was originally known as the Worcester Centrum in the early 1980s and run by Spectacor which ran the Spectrum, a building in Lakeland, Florida and other facilities, too. I forget the current name of the Worcester facility but it is no longer the Centrum.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote