View Single Post
Old
12-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Lets be fair, the Ducks weren't a downright lousy team for most of Selanne's time there. They generally were a .500 team. I agree, being on a better team does tend to help, but it's not like he was stuck on a total cellar dweller.

I definitely don't recall this. Selanne's goal production dropped sharply as compared to the regular season. Certainly Niedermayer, Pronger, Giguere, and Pahlsson were ahead of him in Smythe consideration. Beachemin, Getzlaf, and McDonald could have been ahead of him as well.
You can call the Ducks "mediocre" at that time for sure. It's hard to garner Hart votes when part of the process involves how well the team did with you. I think it goes to show you just how revered Selanne was at that time in the NHL that he received such great Hart consideration despite not being on an elite team.

As for the 2007 Cup run. Sure, there were lots of Ducks that played well. 2007 was a weird year, you could have even given it to Alfredsson on the Sens. But Selanne was certainly part of a melting pot of Duck players that played around the same level. Personally I would have given it to Pronger but Selanne scored the most important goal in Ducks' history.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote