View Single Post
Old
12-11-2012, 06:06 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
I have no doubt that Billy Smith was awesome in the playoffs during the Islanders dynasty. Every older fan who was around to watch the Islanders dynasty talks about Smith as one of the best playoff goalies they ever saw. I'm sure the fact that Smith's strongest performance was in 1983 during the 4th Cup might color memories of his performance for previous Cups, but I've never seen any reason to doubt that he was great in the playoffs.

I do, however, think Mike brought up a good point earlier. If Smith played for a team that wasn't dynasty-caliber, would he have even gotten a chance to be routinely clutch in the playoffs? In the Fuhr vs Smith thread I posted earlier, even Islanders fans say that Smith's regular seasons weren't particularly HHOF calibre, that he's in based entirely on the playoffs.

Fuhr and Worsley have at least a little bit of meat on their resumes outside of the dynasty years. Though one can question how important Worsley was to the Canadiens dynasty, as he tandemed with Vachon for some of the long runs.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote