Old
12-11-2012, 06:28 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Where did I say you wouldn't 'turn out fine?'

That is not 'cooking the books.'

Government cuts on expenditures occur all the time. When they do occur, government institutions need to reduce their own expenditures to make ends meet.

Logically speaking, if they aren't going to increase tuition costs on students, expenditures need to be cut.

Cooking the books would be submitting fraudulent budgets to the public. This is neither fraudulent nor out of the ordinary.

This is of course ignoring the millions of dollars universities spend on administration, and full-time salaries.

Once again, I would like to see some actual evidence that universities are all of a sudden not providing wireless internet or computers to students.

This sounds like more of an argument from someone who sells universities these types of programs and is worried about their 'bottom line.'
In the end Quebec universities and thus Quebec will suffer from not investing in the future.

In order to have an elite university, you need elite professors, and the salaries worldwide for elite professors are skyrocketing. If you want to compete with Harvard, Oxford, etc you need to offer six figures starting salaries. If you're offering 50K, then you're going to end also-rans. This leads to a vicious cycle as those individuals won't be successful when applying for research funding.

The same is true of graduate school: graduate students at McGill get about two thirds what graduate students get in the USA, even though Montreal has a very high cost of living.

Computers and office space can be very expensive. With respect to computers, a friend of mine went into an PhD in electrical engineering program at McGill, his adviser told him to buy his own computer -- I've never heard of an adviser anyone else saying that to his student. So he left his PhD program for that and other reasons. The office space is also really bad, the offices are really cramped. You can have 6 or 7 grad students in an office.

The other issue is dilapidated infrastructure. I remember there was a physiology class that would meet at 7:30 AM, because Leacock 112 or whatever was the only room in the university that could host 600 listeners. There was also an incident a few years back when Muslim students couldn't get a prayer room because the space was needed for an archeology lab.

I also remember that the bathrooms were a nightmare because of two reasons:
- most undergraduates are savages and babies, who don't know how to or don't want to flush a toilet
- Not enough janitors were employed.

You don't find such dirty bathrooms in US universities. At McGill, if you needed to go to the bathroom, you had to be strategic. Like in Burnside building, I would just go to the 4th floor or the 5th floor; no undergrads went there and thus the bathrooms would be clean.

Ultimately, a massive increase in funding is required, be it from undergrad tuition or government funding.

Last edited by DAChampion: 12-11-2012 at 06:34 PM.