View Single Post
Old
12-11-2012, 07:54 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
Good points for the most part. I think Quebec was one of the more unique situations. Given that they were in the same division as Montreal, who had Roy, and the additional language barrier for Jagr, it seems like Brodeur would have been a fine choice for them. Would have been interesting to see how that turned out. The Nords needed help in goal, as neither they nor their goalies (Tugnutt, Fiset, etc.) were doing very well, so how would Brodeur have responded if he was put to the test at a younger age for a losing team?

That puts Jagr in Vancouver, which seems like a better fit. The Canucks would have been able to send out separate lines with Jagr and Bure, with an improving team in a weaker division. Would have been interesting to see how that played out as well, whether he puts them over the top ~'92-94 and what direction they take after that (rather than Mogilny & Messier).
i don't know that brodeur would have gotten to the NHL any sooner on quebec rather than NJ. it's not like terreri and billington were world beating superstars preventing brodeur from cracking the lineup. i just don't think he was ready until '94. (i don't know how far back TDDM's devils memory goes, but maybe he can chime in here?)

brodeur was 21 when he became a starter. by that point the nordiques were a pretty decent team, having won the adams division in '93 and were probably just a good goalie away from making the playoffs again. the nords win their division again in '95, then the cup in '96. seems like brodeur's development rate would have been right in step with that young team's.

and also, one wonders even without nolan whether the nords could have gotten ozolinsh from the sharks for thibault. his stock was sky high when he was drafted. hell, if they'd packaged sundin with thibault, could they have gotten rob blake from the kings? (the kings had two other very good young defensemen in zhitnik and sydor, and boy did they need an upgrade in net.)

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote