View Single Post
Old
12-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Great One

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
If Whitney is truly healthy, Smid is ok (there seems to be some uncertainty about this still), Schultz continues along his current path, and no one else gets injured, the Oilers will have a decent defensive corps this season.

That is a helluva lot of ifs.
The biggest "if" for me is that if the season is lost due to the lockout then we may lose 3 of our top 6 dmen due to free agency. Whitney, Sutton and most importantly Smid are all set to become UFA's at the end of the year and though very doubtful, it's actually a possibility that we may never see either of these guys in an Oiler's jersey again. If this turns out to be the case then I think we're in alot more trouble than we think.

I'm pretty sure Tambo will do whatever it takes to re-up Smid, and Sutton could retire depending on injuries, but the Whitney situation is the biggest question mark. What if Whitney is looking for some security and asks for a long term deal? Do we just assume he can return to form from a couple of years ago and give him what he asks for or do we just let him walk for nothing? And what if we do re-sign him and he never returns to his former self? That's a big risk I'm not sure I'd be willing to take if it were up to me. Even Smid's situation scares me a little. As soon as the NHL announces the cancellation of the rest of the season then, in no technical terms, we can pretty much consider Smid a UFA. In saying that, I really believe Smid loves Edmonton and really wants to stay here long term. But what scares me is that what if I'm wrong? What if he believes he can get a better contract if he tests free agency? Even though this lockout benefits the development of a guy like Schultz, it could really be devastating for the rest of our d core.

Last edited by Great One: 12-11-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Great One is offline   Reply With Quote