View Single Post
Old
12-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
i don't know that brodeur would have gotten to the NHL any sooner on quebec rather than NJ. it's not like terreri and billington were world beating superstars preventing brodeur from cracking the lineup. i just don't think he was ready until '94. (i don't know how far back TDDM's devils memory goes, but maybe he can chime in here?)

brodeur was 21 when he became a starter. by that point the nordiques were a pretty decent team, having won the adams division in '93 and were probably just a good goalie away from making the playoffs again. the nords win their division again in '95, then the cup in '96. seems like brodeur's development rate would have been right in step with that young team's.

and also, one wonders even without nolan whether the nords could have gotten ozolinsh from the sharks for thibault. his stock was sky high when he was drafted. hell, if they'd packaged sundin with thibault, could they have gotten rob blake from the kings? (the kings had two other very good young defensemen in zhitnik and sydor, and boy did they need an upgrade in net.)
I guess it was my impression that NJ planned not to rush Brodeur, while Quebec didn't have much of a plan in goal... unless you consider 7 goalies getting a decision in '90 (and 5 in '91) a plan. John Tanner was a 3rd rounder who played a game at age 18 in '89, then got 5 decisions in '90 and 12 in '91. I can't see them waiting very long to at least try Brodeur out for a few games, after that it would depend on how he played. I agree that TDMM could probably shed some light on the goalie situation in NJ. They traded Burke for Holik after '92, so it's clear they were confident in Brodeur's ability to take over in goal.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote