View Single Post
Old
12-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Although it's a small sample size we actually do see waht Orr did without Phil with the Black Hawks in 77

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/CBH/1977.html

He is a plus 6 on that team and his PPG pace is over 25 more points than boldireav in a whole season. (Maybe Ivan closes that gap a bit with Bobby for the full year who knows).

And this is Bobby at the end too not prime peak Bobby.

Maybe the guys voting for Phil didn't fall off the hay wagon but how many are just stat counting and not factoring in 2 way play is the real question IMO.
Yeah I don't think a post-Esposito Orr is the best case AGAINST Phil either:

Orr:
1975-'76 - 18 points in 10 games
1976-'77 - 23 points in 20 games
1978-'79 - 4 points in 6 games

Overall he has 45 points in 36 games. I will also take into account that Orr's knees weren't the same but how many people want to bet that his stats are higher if Esposito is his big center again on Chicago?

Then there is the 1973 playoffs. Esposito is out in the hospital and the Bruins lose in 5 games. No one surpasses 3 points on the Bruins. Orr has two points. This is a huge swing of the pendulum on the other years. 1970, 1972 and 1974 are all years they make the final. 1971 and 1975 they lose in the first round, however they go the distance in those upsets and the numbers for the players are still pretty good despite the loss. Unlike 1973. This is a perfect example of how a player of Esposito's caliber could and did bring the level of playing ability of the entire team up when he played. See, I realize the importance of a player's prescence who led the postseason in points three times. I don't know why others on this thread don't.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote