View Single Post
Old
12-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Phoenix is obviously not all that profitable. Is their management team incomptent? Not when it comes to the on-ice product.

Why is that? Could it be that they are in a market place where their customers will accept mediocrity? Why can't teams with below average success on the ice, yet large revenues, compete on a level playing field when it comes to acquiring talent?
Well lets just use Toronto as an example shall we? Come right out with it. The Leafs. Where mediocrity would actually be a step up from the neolithic ponds upon which theyve been skating for the last 45 yrs (but for one break in the clouds in 94, late 70's). However, if you then look at how they won all those Cups in the 60's, defensively, with what has since been Lionized as the Neutral Zone Trap & Left Wing Lock which won the Red Wings & Devils several cups a couple of decades later, then look at what Maloney & Tippett accomplished in Phoenix with the same over the past 2 seasons, then the answer becomes clear.

You dont need superior higher priced talent to be successful, you just need a Coach to get the room to buy into the system. Burke in Toronto is not prepared to "present" that style of hockey, type of game to the fans. Conscious decision. Wasnt prepared to do it in Hartford, Vancouver or Anaheim. So the question youd ask is "well, why the Hell not, a wins a win and thats what your paid the big bucks to deliver". Im not Brian Burke obviously so I cant answer that question. I guess just philosophically he abhors the Art Ross, Punch Imlach, Jacques Lemaire & Dave Tippett type of game. Wants entertaining hockey. Figures he can deliver yet as has been the case in Toronto for decades with GM's & Coaches, clocks ticking & his times just about up; cooked. Everything else he's tried to initiate a bust or gone south. Luck, timing, sometimes not your friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Constricting spending has lead to mediocre hockey(like this years playoffs)
I didnt find that myself through this past springs playoff's MM, quite enjoyed watching Smith & the Coyotes frustrating the Dickens out of their opponents, really only the team that went deep playing the LeftWingLock & NZ Trap, or as Art Ross called it in the 20's & 30's, Kitty Bar the Door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
One team kind of dominated the way you would like to see the Leafs dominate.
Our day will come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Boom headshot
Concrete jaw haseoke. Mandatory equipment for members of LeafNation.... and remember, when youve got nothin to sell in the present, future looks bleak, why, you just sell the glorious past. Over & over & over again. Works a treat.