View Single Post
Old
12-11-2012, 09:37 PM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
But a $13M player isn't going to sign for years 2-7 for $1M per. Even if he'd drop to $5M you're asking him to risk $30M. I can't imagine anyone taking that kind of risk. I wouldn't, and I can't imagine an agent who is making a living on taking a percentage of that money is going to let his client go that route.

It's not all that much risk. What do you figure the odds of having a major injury between September and January 1st? 1% would be generous. Plus the whole point of an agreement in principle is that if a player stunk it up or went Crosby on the league he would sign the extension (again the chances of a player being SO bad or SO fantastic that there would be an incentive to opt out is really low).

Then of course you have to discount the value of the alternate 5 year deal the player could get.

And a kicker, if you still need one, is that after the first 3 months. A player would have an additional 3 years of money security with a 7 year.

I'm not trying to suggest this will be a LIKELY scenario, it's just a viable one that may eventually come to fruition.