View Single Post
Old
12-11-2012, 10:36 PM
thatshype

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
NBA TV ‏@NBATV
Amir Johnson of the @Raptors is suspended 1 game w/o pay for throwing his mouthpiece & hitting a referee.
Not surprising, but frankly I'm not upset. Amir is the closest thing we have to a Rasheed Wallace, and I mean that in a good way.

Actually now that I mentioned Rasheed, I wanna bring it up that the 03-04 Pistons are an interesting case study about winning championships in the NBA. Interestingly enough, Tayshaun Prince was the only player drafted by the Pistons in their starting 5. Billups had been brought in as a Free Agent, and Ben Wallace and Rip Hamilton via trade a few years prior. They got Rasheed Wallace mid-season to put them over the edge. Also interesting is that they did all of this with a 2nd overall pick Darko sitting on the bench.

It might have been a different landscape then, but the Pistons is the most recent example of a truly balanced roster without a "marquee" player to win the championships. Pistons' top scorer that year was Hamilton who ranked 28th in the league for scoring. If there is a team that I believe we need to emulate...it's the 03-04 Pistons. That is, a team that is greater than the sum of it's parts.