View Single Post
Old
12-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
USA Today solicited comments from STHs about what they did with their lockout money and chose one from each team...my comments were chosen for the CBJ.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...react/1760277/
You should have had them quote you as "John "SuperGenius" Wooten" ... that would have definitely been funny.

Well said though. I think you stand for the true hockey fan, the fan that will always love the game, regardless of what happens. The people who are throwing the NHL under the bus will eventually be back for this reason, and are just kidding themselves (and everyone else). While I'm not a big dollar spender on NHL merchandise or tickets, I will admit that I will be hard pressed to spend any of my hard-earned money on NHL anything for the foreseeable future, but I won't go around making comments about not ever coming back, because it simply isn't true.

What the NHL should be concerned with is the loss of the casual fan. I know so many people (living in a huge hockey area without an NHL team) who only follow the "big NHL games" - such as the Winter Classic, the Stanley Cup Final, or whatever. Clearly, these are the big revenue events, and I fear that this lockout, more than any other, will result in the loss of importance of these large events. People simply won't care to tune in, because they have other hobbies to keep them busy.

This is where the game is going to suffer.