Thread: Proposal: Kings - Maple Leafs
View Single Post
Old
12-11-2012, 11:02 PM
seanlinden

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybaby View Post
If the lockout magically ended today. Loktionov would likely be on the Marlies, maybe getting a few games as a call-up for the Leafs while they looked for buyers for Connolly and Lombardi. Once that was accomplished, I would line them up like so..

Bozak
Grabo
Loktionov
McClement
13th F - Steckel

I would play Loktionov with Kulemin and Frattin, two big, physical players that can score goals. For the line-up for 2013 I'd be comfortable with this, although I'd hope Burke would make an attempt to upgrade on Bozak in the #1 center hole. If that happened Bozak would likely slide down and make Loktionov expendable in a trade or a 4th liner/13th forward.
Finally! Progress!

But do you truly believe that the Leafs, pushing for a playoff spot, are going to start looking to dump players like Connolly / Lombardi, to play an inferior player like Loktionov? That's just not realistic, or even sensible.

Going onto 2013-14, Burke absolutely has to upgrade Bozak as the #1, which most likely slides him down to the #3 and makes Loktionov trade bait... which brings me back to the original point.

Loktionov on the Leafs would be destined to play in the AHL for most of a season if there is one, and would then be trade bait. You don't trade for a player when the expectation is for him to be trade bait in the near future (or play in a role that he isn't suited for). It's a lose-lose every time, as it creates one more seed of doubt in GMs minds about other GMs wanting him on their team, and eliminates a possible suitor.

The place for Loktionov to go is a team that's actually going to play him. Somebody like Anaheim, where he'll have a realistic chance to work his way into the lineup immidiately.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote