View Single Post
Old
12-11-2012, 11:30 PM
PAZ

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
THIS! THANK YOU! This is what I've been trying to tell detractors of Windows Phone 8, they always go to the "Oh...WP8 doesn't have a lot of Apps". Which, while true, is due to the fact that they've completely re-launched and rebuilt their OS Platform.

I recognize that WP8 has some "catch-up" to play, so to speak, but MS appears to be committed, they are putting new Apps up seemingly every week.

People often forget that both iOS and Android had to start somewhere, neither launched with over 500,000 Apps available right away, they had to build to get there. They've had a 3+ year headstart.
I agree with the infancy stage, but you also have to remember a lot depends on 3rd party developers. I personally haven't researched how easy it is for developers to program for the WP8, but if it's a pain in the ass it will create problems.

I think that they'll be successful with the app store in the sense it will have all the essentials + more, but it won't reach the level of Android and Apple unless the MS platform starts catching up to either Android or Apple sales. WP8 is a great OS, but imo it's for a smaller niche. The windows platform has been out for what, a year and a half.. two years? This is anecdotal evidence but I've worked at a cellular store in Canada for the past few years, and it's never been too popular. Even now, it's only about 1/50 people getting a Windows phone.