View Single Post
Old
12-12-2012, 12:53 AM
Averman
Ya, Yeo Betcha

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
But we're allowed to have 2 max guys, unless they are working under some internal budget (which I don't think they are). Giving one to Love wouldn't affect Rubio.
Kevin Love does have a max contract, he just has a 4 year long max contract (with an opt-out after the 3rd year) instead of a 5 year long max contract. The newest NBA CBA ridiculously allows teams to only offer one 5 year extension of a rookie contract at a time. Giving one to Love would have taken that option off the table for Rubio.

Kahn overlooked the bird in the hand in order to save a bargaining chip for "his guy" down the road. There were rampant reports that Rubio would never slip on a Timberwolves uniform due to dissatisfaction with being drafted by them, so keeping all options on the table isn't the worst thing. Unfortunately, it's also not completely clear that Rubio will be able to command that type of contract when the time comes.

I'm not a fan of Kahn, but he was in a bit of a rock and a hard place situation due to being the first GM in position to have his core get ****ed over by the NBA's stupid new rule on rookie extensions. A team like the Thunder was able to give 2 of their guys 5 years at the max because Durant was drafted a year before Love. It was also crap timing due to the Wolves only getting an 18 game look at a Love/Rubio tandem before the deadline to extend Love.

The real mistake was the opt-out after the 3rd year, but supposedly that was an attempt to compromise with Love over not being willing to give him a 5th year.

I've gotten used to Love using his status as star who gives a good interview to make it clear to anyone who will listen that he feels no obligation to the Timberwolves, but it's a little disappointing that he's still reiterating all of that even though he has a legitimate supporting cast around him (particularly once Rubio gets back).