View Single Post
Old
12-12-2012, 08:16 AM
Gooch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzeigler View Post
What's funny is that a couple years ago, while talking with Tom McMillan of the Pens, I asked him some of his favored media outlets. He immediately said the Puck Daddy blog was one of his favorites, especially for its skill at quickly giving a rundown of issues with every team on a daily basis. Granted, his new background might give him a different perspective than others who are in NHL management and this was prelockout, but he still named it and TSN as his two favorite sources for hockey news.

I don't have to ask myself. I know the answer: I value the sanctity of a contract. I understand that others don't and have some legitimate reasons for taking that position, but for me, your word is bond and signed contracts are sacrosanct. It's old fashioned, I know, but I don't care.
I can certainly see the position of expecting the NHL to honor the existing contracts they signed, that is perfectly reasonable. I just assumed you were blaming them for signing those contracts to begin with as I explained it was how the market was structured using the CBA. It was out of their hand unless they colluded with each other and that isnt allowed. It's the one issue I really feel the owners are not in the right about, I am with you in that they should honor their commitments in that regard.

My ideal scenario is they fix the CBA mess to make sure crap like that doesnt happen again, they honor existing contracts in full and only adjust them in the books for the new salary cap not the actual amount paid out. That the new length be 10 years or so to ensure that the savings they get from the new CBA is enough to compensate for the expeditures of the existing contracts.