View Single Post
Old
12-12-2012, 10:32 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Yeah, i agree with that. Offensively, he's going to step into the NHL right away and put up big numbers IMO, he's incredibly good offensively but he will need a steady D partner to make up for the inevitable mistakes that he will make in the defensive end (perhaps Nick Schultz).
He has a very high Hockey IQ so i'm pretty sure that he will improve defensively as he gains experience but there will be some definite growing pains in his first couple of seasons.
I would also like to see him put on some weight, he's a little too lean to handle big defensive responsibilities right away.
I agree that he'll take some time to learn the defensive side of the game at the NHL level(what rookie doesn't?). But I think he can adapt using positioning, IQ and stick work to improve his effectiveness on the defensive side of the game.

But I certainly don't want to see him put on some weight. So much of his offensive game relies on his quick feet. Rather than trying to make him something he isn't (a tough, physical defender), the Oilers should get a tough physical defender for him to play with.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote