Thread: Prospect Info: All Prospect Talk
View Single Post
Old
12-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Sevanston

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
The only player Chicago really has a chance at, unless they get extremely lucky, is Lehkonen. Personally, I'd rather Chicago takes a Dman this year unless they do get lucky (either draft high from the season being locked out all year, or a player falls unexpectedly) and someone like Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan or Shinkaruk are available. I like Lazar, but I don't like him enough to take him over someone like Ristolainen, Nurse, Zadorov, Pulock or Morissey. And, of course, the Hawks aren't likely to pick the high-end Russian Valeri Nichushkin.
I completely agree, and have my eyes set on Ristolainen right now.

I think he's one of the safest defensive prospects in this draft. You don't play top-pairing minutes against men at the age of 18 unless you've got real talent, and projecting him as a solid NHL player hardly sounds like a tall order given what he's already accomplished. Similar to Hampus Lindholm last year (though I liked Lindholm last year more than I do Ristolainen this year).

This draft seems to be pretty deep in forward talent, so I'm hoping to see last year's trend reversed. Everyone will pick the high-end forward talent over the high-end defensive talent, and a player like Ristolainen will fall to us.

Obviously this is all assuming we have a mid-late pick. If we luck into an early pick, all bets are off.