View Single Post
Old
12-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp75 View Post
but to build a winner, you have to start winning. you dont worry about 5 years down the road, you do what you can to win, and adapt with the times. Lu's contract was signed to guarantee good goaltending at a good cap hit. I guess TO fans see 5.3mil as too much for a goalie, so thats where we'll disagree. Like i said, its not about 5-6 years away, its about next season and the following 4. Losing is not attractive for free agents or to resign your star player. Look at the canucks, the entire core signed for below market value to be part of a winner. WHen a team loses, they have to overpay to keep their good players (see Grabovski @ 5.5 compared to Kesler @ 5.0). And if it werent for the players we developed taking discounts (sedins/kes/burr/hansen) then we wouldnt have been able to get discounts on UFA's like Hamhuis.
I'll throw it in reverse....if you guys don't win the cup in the next 4-5 years....what will your team look like? A hint, it will look like ours 4 years ago, older players and a shallow prospect pool.