View Single Post
Old
12-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Flyerfan808

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
The most attractive thing about the franchise is the money they can offer. Now where we once had an advantage we no longer do.

Don't kid yourself. WE got Bryz, Briere and others by offering them huge front loaded deals. Deals that many other teams cant offer. WE have a solid core now, but in 4 years? HOw much will this cba change the complexion of the league. I shudder to think about the offer that Giroux will get, and shudder at the thought of losing young talent because of his huge contract.

This CBA is really destined to make the salary cap era even more fair, and the smaller market teams...every single one of them will benefit greatly from it.
I've already conceded that the Flyers have lost their monetary advantage over the small market teams. I'm also not thrilled about it... fair is fair... but you shouldn't kid yourself either. It's not ALL about money not for every player. Briere was offered more money from a few teams and he turned them down to play for us because he thought we had a solid young core (Richards, Carter, Giroux) and because he knew that the Flyers would be contenders.

Giroux is a RFA (Schenn & Couturier too) and is still eligible for team elected salary arbitration if it comes to that, which means he is protected from offer sheets. So, I'm not worried about that.

If it goes to arbitration, I could see him getting 7M-7.5M, but I don't see it getting that far. I think the Flyers will lock him up during the 2013-2014 season for somewhere between 6.25M - 6.75M and for the five year max.