View Single Post
Old
12-12-2012, 01:25 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Hamrlik is just mad because he is at the end of his career and this lockout may end it. It is somewhat selfish to act the way he is acting. He doesn't give a crap about the new CBA because it will affect him very little. The guys it will affect are the guys with years to play under the CBA. Anyone (not just Hamrlik) who whines about not having a deal done just to get a deal done is silly. That is how you screw your fellow players (and potentially yourself). The point of the Union is to get the best deal possible, not just sign any deal in order to get back on the ice. I hate this lockout as much as the next, but just signing a deal because it will get people on the ice is silly.

For fans, it sucks to see this and sucks that it seems like Fehr is just playing hardball for no reason. But you have to look at the big picture. He is fighting to give the players a better deal. He isn't doing it to make a name for himself and he isn't doing it to piss of the owners or the fans. The players wanted a guy who will bargain hard for them and get them the best deal. Just giving in for the sake of getting the game back on the ice would be great for the fans, but not a smart move for the players. Hence, the lockout is still ongoing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I agree with this. Hamrlik is thinking only of himself. Fehr and the players have to stay united and think of the big picture.
The point of the union is to get 'the best deal possible'? In the players' collective opinions, sure... but the best deal possible in a 'big picture' sense, would likely be a fair deal for both sides, no?

Hamrlik is one of the few guys that have been through all three of the Bettman era work stoppages. I'd guess that he has a pretty good perspective about what a lost season means to all players, not just himself. With a union of 700+ members, it's not surprising to see dissenting opinions. No deal will appease all NHLPA members and the owners.