View Single Post
Old
12-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Theokritos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
You need to sell the crap out of it in North America.....which is exactly what's being done. Why? To grow the sport.
See, I don't want to grow the sport. The sport either grows by itself or it doesn't grow. You're entitled to see it the other way, but again, why should hockey fans in Toronto etc see it the other way?
BTW I'm not from Toronto, Montréal, New York etc, so I'm not arguing in favour of my team.

Quote:
Why not try to grow stronger? If you love something why on Earth would you want to see it stay weak and small? Why would you NOT want to bring it to others so they can enjoy it like you do? If I really like something I want to share it with others.
Again, small doesn't equal weak and big doesn't equal strong in my opinion.

Quote:
Maybe you're content with a niche outlook on things but I suspect most people are not. Certainly not in North America. We generally are not content to remain cloistered in small parochial boxes and naturally strive for something bigger and better.
Same for bigger = better. But agreed, it's a question of outlook. I just happen to question the general outlook that everybody seems to take as a given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Because that would mean in all likelihood that they never exanded beyond the East Coast and a couple California teams.
So what?

Quote:
The one thing you can say about the southern expansion is that it expressed a laudable determination to go out there and compete for the rest of the entertainment dollars that the big 3 have access to that the NHL doesn't if it stays in its little protected niche.
Some think it's laudable. Other think it would be wiser to keep the dollars you already have instead of throwing them out of the window for revenue sharing.

Quote:
Or perhaps it means better DEFENSIVE hockey, better goaltenders, and fewer players who do only one thing well, which from the standpoint of a lot of fans, means more grinding, and a poorer ability for truly great athletes to stand out from the pack. From the layman's perspective, that kind of talent density would look like WORSE hockey.
If more players who do only one thing well = better hockey for you, then we're never going to agree in this debate because we don't agree on what actually is good hockey.

Quote:
I'm only a hockey fan because I got the chance to see the team in action. If I grow up in Tennessee, and there's no team closer to me than Chicago, I don't get that chance, and I become a football fan instead. Thus the NHL loses any and all access to whatever entertainment dollars I have to spend.
And saves the revenue sharing dollars.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote