View Single Post
Old
12-12-2012, 04:08 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
I completely agree, and have my eyes set on Ristolainen right now.

I think he's one of the safest defensive prospects in this draft. You don't play top-pairing minutes against men at the age of 18 unless you've got real talent, and projecting him as a solid NHL player hardly sounds like a tall order given what he's already accomplished. Similar to Hampus Lindholm last year (though I liked Lindholm last year more than I do Ristolainen this year).

This draft seems to be pretty deep in forward talent, so I'm hoping to see last year's trend reversed. Everyone will pick the high-end forward talent over the high-end defensive talent, and a player like Ristolainen will fall to us.

Obviously this is all assuming we have a mid-late pick. If we luck into an early pick, all bets are off.
I'd definitely love to add Ristolainen.. everything I've read about him suggests top-pairing potential, and that's why I don't think he'll be available. One of the things that caused Teravainen to fall, outside of the run on Dmen, was his size.. unlike TT, Risto has great size, and that, combined with his obvious talent, makes him a guaranteed top-10 pick IMO.

Someone like Darnell Nurse (Big Dman, physical, quality puck-mover) seems like a more likely target.. but, as I've said before, the guy I'd really love to draft and the guy I think has huge potential is Josh Morrissey. He hasn't produced as much as I think people expected in PA this year, although he does have 25 points in 31 games, but everything I've read about him sounds like he could be a simular Dman to Justin Schultz.